Saturday, May 29, 2010

Chapter 3 - African American Teachers


Summary
  • Many African-American teachers suffer from racism, too.
  • African-American teachers are sometimes torn between the way they grew up and the situations they are placed in as educators.
Commentary

I can see that it must be very difficult to be an African American educator in schools that have a predominately white faculty. However, I can see that it must also be difficult to be a white educator in a school with a predominately black faculty. This is because many of us do not practice what we preach in regards to diversity. I have learned so much from African American coworkers - the ability to laugh at insane situations, take comments with a grain of salt, and when/how to stand my ground. I would not trade those qualities I have thanks to my African American friends and colleagues for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment